Saturday, May 25, 2013

Overtraining

I have been putting in work way before my track season started just so I would have a good chance of reaching my goal of breaking 50 sec. in the 400 meters. It all started in late November early  December where I would I go to the team workouts at the high school. I can't remember if it was everyday but it was for at least 2 days a week. Then that went into pre-season which started in late January. We would lift on Monday's, Wednesday's, and Friday's and run up at Barton Hall on Tuesday's and Thursday's. I even participated in indoor track meets at Barton, organized by the Finger Lakes Runners Club. Season soon started and I felt more ready than ever.

Ever since then, I've been to every track meet, and ran at least 3 races, 2 of those including a 400. Everything was going well, I was making personal records and then surpassing those and making more. Now I'm at the end of my season which 2 more meets to go. The last 400 I run may be on May 30th, which is state quals. and the time I need to go to states would be a 49. I know I'm not going to get that time because my body can't keep up with the stress I've been putting on it any longer. I'm at my limits. I've been working too hard and haven't been given any time to rest. That internal push I had all season is no more.

Due to my "overtraining", for right now, I am not going to get any faster, nor better. Here is a article to backup the regression I've been noticing.

Click here to see article

From the article I learned:

Overtraining syndrome is a collapse in performance that occurs when the body gets pushed beyond its capacity to recover.  If my body doesn't get the opportunity to repair itself, than my hard work will eventually be doing more bad than good. Overtraining causes performances to drop and injuries to rise, as well as sleep disturbances. A drastic change in mood can be a sign that someone is overtraining. Getting enough sleep (ideally 8-9 hours) and giving your body the nutrients it needs are important. "You should have the same commitment toward your recovery as you do toward your workouts."


1 comment:

  1. Good notes about the article. And good information for you to use/access for the future and your college career.

    I know you had injuries - did you also have sleep disturbances? I think that is the one that surprises me the most...I didn't know it could do that.

    You definitely did a lot of work this year to work towards your goal...and it was focused work. You have done a great job!!

    ReplyDelete